Wednesday 7 November 2012

Somebody, Wanted, But, So, Then

SWBST as referred to by my students. One of the first summarising strategies on our success criteria.

Take any narrative and have students try to fill in a SWBST chart for their narrative. This was first shown to me by my colleague Shane and it works for all skills levels too. 

I've been explicitly teaching this strategy in my whole class focus lessons and it is used as a follow up task also. Here is a picture of our class poster that gets updated for each new narrative we read. 

We also completed this strategy on the interactive whiteboard:




2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephania,
    I really like your clear and supportive strategy for understanding the guts of a narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! This strategy works all the time and kids respond well to it.

    ReplyDelete